Learn More About Gear Oils
What is a manual gear?
Manual gear is a type of transmission used in motor vehicle applications. It uses a driver-operated clutch engaged and disengaged by a foot pedal (automobiles) or hand lever (motorcycles) to regulate torque transfer from the engine to the transmission. A gear selector may be operated by hand (automobiles) or by foot (motorcycles). A conventional 5-speed manual transmission is often the standard equipment in a base-model car.
What is the function of gear oil?
Gear oil is a lubricant made specifically for transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials in automobiles, trucks, and other machinery. It is used to lubricate the components of a car’s transmission for optimum performance. It is highly viscous to better protect the gear system and ensure efficient transfer of lubricant throughout the gear train. Gear oil is associated with a strong sulphur smell as it contains extreme pressure (EP) and anti-wear additives to cope with the sliding action of hypoid bevel gears. Hypoid gear oil, for example, is used in certain manual transmissions and is highly resistant to extreme pressure and temperature.
Gear Oil Specification
Service designations in current use:
- API GL-4 – Lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load, or axels with hypoid gears operating under moderate conditions of speed and load.
- API GL-5 – Lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque conditions.
- API MT-1 – Lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting the requirements of API MT-1 service provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil-seal deterioration
Source: API 1560 EIGHTH EDITION, APRIL 2013
Totachi Gear Oils
Totachi gear oils consist of Extra Hypoid Gear LSD 75W-90, Ultra Hypoid Gear 75W-85, Extra Hypoid Gear 75W-90, Super Hypoid Gear 80W-90, Super Hypoid Gear 75W-90 and Extra Hypoid Gear 80W-90. They range from 100% synthetic to mineral-based.
Totachi gear oils are specially designed for providing maximum protection of transmissions, operating under extremely heavy loads in different climate conditions. It is manufactured from high viscosity index base oils with excellent antioxidizing properties and outstanding high-temperature stability. All these characteristics provide the possibility to use the products with increased drain intervals. They contain unique balanced complex of additives, capable of minimizing wear, lower friction, prevent oxidation and foaming at intensive operation of vehicles in conditions of city “traffic-jams” or in severe climate conditions with low ambient temperatures. Totachi gear oils guarantee reliable lubrication and protection of loaded parts as well as outstanding compatibility with seals and gaskets materials used in transmission parts.
- Totachi gear oils are designed specially for the manual automated transmissions of passenger cars and commercial vehicles.
- Totachi gear oils can be applied in severe arctic conditions in constant mesh manual gearboxes, transfer cases, drive axles with hypoid final drives, which require gear oils with antiscoring additives.
- The use of high viscosity synthetic base oils with excellent antioxidizing performance and excellent high-temperature stability allows the establishment of maximum increased service intervals.
- Outstanding fluidity of oil at low temperatures provide confident cold start of transmission in winter and fast gear shifts. It also contributes to fuel economy.
- Totachi gear oils contribute to extending transmission durability. Highly effective extreme pressure (EP) additives consistently protect the system against wear and extend the service life of highly loaded gear and bearing teeth.
Click here to download the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) for Totachi Gear Oils.
For more enquiries on our product selection, please consult our distributors in your country or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.