Let’s Talk About ATF (Part One – High Viscosity)
What is ATF?
ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid. ATF is a type of motor vehicle transmission fluid that can automatically change gear ratios as the vehicle moves. Automatic transmission frees the driver from having to shift gears manually. It allows an internal combustion engine which is best suited to run at a relatively high rotational speed. This is to provide a range of speed and torque outputs necessary for vehicular travel.
What is the Function of ATF?
ATF performs many functions during service. The main functions of ATF are to operate the hydraulics, lubricate the gears and bushings, dissipate heat through the transmission cooler and transmit fluid pressure for the torque convertor. It also provides proper clutch function, gives good seal performance, cleans and protects metal surfaces from wear, conditions gaskets, provides corrosion protection to transmission components and prevents oxidation.
What Does Viscosity Mean?
Viscosity is the measure of a fluid’s resistance to flow. It describes the internal friction of a moving fluid. A fluid with large viscosity resists motion because of its molecular makeup gives it a lot of internal friction. A fluid with low viscosity flows easily because its molecular makeup results in very little friction when it is in motion.
Examples of viscosity:
- Honey is highly viscous
- Water is medium viscous
- Gas is low viscous
There are two related measures of fluid viscosity
- Dynamic (or absolute)
For ATF, kinematic viscosity is an important parameter to determine the properties of oil. Kinematic viscosity is the ratio of – absolute (or dynamic) viscosity to density – a quantity in which no force is involved. Kinematic viscosity can be obtained by dividing the absolute viscosity of a fluid with the fluid mass density.
Kinematic viscosity is mostly used to specify petrochemical fluids such as fuels or lube oils. The viscosity of a fluid is highly temperature dependent. For dynamic or kinematic viscosity to be meaningful the reference temperature must be quoted.
Totachi High Viscosity ATF
Totachi high viscosity ATF consists of ATF Z-1, ATF Multi-Vehicle, ATF SP-3, ATF Dex III and ATF Dexron II. They range from 100% synthetic to mineral-based.
Totachi high viscosity ATFs are specially designed for hydro-mechanic automatic transmissions of many ОЕМs. Our formulations contain highly refined premium base stocks with high viscosity index, which, in combination with additive packages, provide protection against wear and optimal friction performance for smooth gear shifts. Increased stability to physical deterioration and outstanding stability to oxidation allows the retention of initial performance in extended service intervals.
- Totachi high viscosity ATFs are designed for many types of hydraulic automatic transmissions by General Motors, Ford Motor Company and many other OEMs before 2006, which require the use of ATFs with General Motors DEXRON-III, Ford MERCON or with previous specifications, such as DEXRON II.
- These fluids may be applied in hydraulic drives and power steering systems.
Totachi high viscosity ATFs:
- provide smooth and noiseless gear shifts of many ОЕМs’ four and five speed automatic transmissions;
- minimize wear and provide the required friction rate for transferring high torque;
- guarantee sufficient anti-wear and antifoaming performance of transmission fluids;
- maintain system cleanliness and effectively protect against varnish, soot and low temperature deposits, as well as provide outstanding protection of oil coolers of automatic transmissions.
Technical Data Sheet (TDS) of our ATF is available for download on our website.
For more enquiries on our product selection, please consult our distributors in your country or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Stay tuned for Part Two of this article!